Monday, November 8, 2010

Week 9

Oh my gosh! These kids! How many weeks does it take to write a 5-paragraph essay, then turn it into a PowerPoint with pictures?! We have been working on the Tech-Steps Digital Story assignment for almost a month, and there are still students who have not even completed writing the script! There is a handful of students in each period who are on time with their assignment, but we cannot allow them to get too far ahead of those who are lagging behind! It's so frustrating!

I've also learned about the difficulty of writing grants, collecting/earning money, and spending it on classroom tools. My mentor teacher has been planning on purchasing a few nice headphone/microphone sets for the students to use when they record their voice-overs for the PowerPoints. The amount of work and frustration that goes into the grants and paperwork to get a few headsets is incredible. The students who are read to move forward and begin working on their PowerPoints must wait until we are able to get the headsets! I hope that teachers and students who attend technology-rich schools are thankful for what they have within their reaches!

In reading, we're beginning a short poetry unit within the Tears of a Tiger novel. The students are to write a short poem about a mood or emotion of their choice. I'm always surprised at the maturity and beauty of poems that I've collected from students at the PDS's I've been in. I'm excited to be able to read their creations, and intrigued at which moods and emotions they'll choose to write about!

No comments:

Post a Comment